map 17 Greenwich Church Rd,
Stewartsville, NJ
ServiceRegular Service:
Sunday 10:00am
WatchWatch
Livestream

 

Special Services - Christmas

Children's Pageant Sun 12/17 10a Pageant & Service
Christmas Eve Sun 12/24 10a
7p
Family Service
Candlelight Service
Christmas Day Mon 12/25 --- No Service

 

The history of Old Greenwich is long and rich. The earliest record of our congregation is a call in 1739 to the Presbytery of New Brunswick for "supplies of preaching in Mr. Barber's neighborhood near Musconnekunk." That was us! At first we were interchangeably referred to as Mr. Barber’s neighborhood or Mr. Green's Farm; then Green’s Ridge, Greenridge, Greenage, until the name finally became Greenwich. 

One of the first supply ministers sent to preach in that log church was the frontier missionary Rev. David Brainerd. In 1775, the site of the log church and the early cemetery were abandoned in favor of the present location and the first stone church was erected. In 1835 the original stone building was replaced by our present, larger church.

In 1951, the cornerstone was laid for Memorial Hall. The great hall has a large stage at the north end of the building and a kitchen at the south. It has become a sort of all purpose room, housing such events as Sunday School classes, after church fellowship, committee meetings, Christmas pageants, and many more activities. Adjacent to Memorial Hall are the library and youth room.

Dedicated in the spring of 2004, Trinity Wing is the latest addition to the physical church. This new wing provides much needed space for Sunday School classes, committee meetings, support groups, and other gatherings. The infant's room a We are actively involved in public service and Christian Mission locally and world-wide. Offices for the pastor and church secretary are also located in this building.

Since 1973, Old Greenwich Presbyterian Church has been pleased to house the Greenwich Nursery School. The nursery school was set up by the church to serve the community. It is now governed by a separate board and subsidized by the church as a part of its local mission.

The Greenwich Cemetery predates the American Revolution, with memorials dating back to 1740. It has beautiful, historic characteristics of an early American church graveyard and nineteenth century rural cemetery. The cemetery's growth through the twentieth century affords visitors a historical cross-section of gradually changing styles of burial layout and monuments, from family plots and vertical markers to the memorial park with flush markers. The cemetery is no longer governed by the church and one need not be Presbyterian to be buried in it.

Latest News

It"s an exciting time at OGPC - each Sunday we are celebrating Confirmation or welcoming New Members or Baptisms or the Lord's Supper or Children's Day. You'll want to be with us at 10:00 a.m. so you don't miss anything!

Old Greenwich's Mission

To grow and to learn in God’s love, as individuals and as a congregation, and to share God’s love in service to our families, our community and our world.